pressmen performance and photography

Friday, July 28, 2006

14 mm of fun

When I first purchased a very expensive 14mm lens I wondered if I would really use it that much. After all, there is not a high demand in events for that focal length. Also, because it is so far from normal human perpective (about 100mm) it can look strange to many people. However, after practicing with a little bit I found it can create many stunning images that are simply unavailable to most people (because many popular cameras and lenses only go to about 28mm). Apart from the obvious benefits as an architectural lens, it can grab so much of a scene that it can place the viewer inside and event as it they were there, looking around.

I will be gathering my wide angle shots at some point and let everyone have a look. If you want to wade through a lot of other stuff, they are scattered throughout this site:

Photo Bucket

Enjoy.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Tim

I was told of this 14mm lens by Chas the imitable (I think that's the word!) - I was invited to comment on your blog/text piece so here goes... Firstly (or rather lastly) it says your blog was posted at 2.15pm but does not say which daay.

However the first couple of things I noticed id that in your rush to get this up you have a couple of oversights/typo's. Have a look at which bit of the lens I'm referring to (that's just a hint) and secondly the phrase "inside and event" needs to be "inside an event" WELL you did ask.

Other than that I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. Ray (friend of Chas)

4:22 pm  
Blogger Tim Gooding said...

hermajestythequeen:

My lens is also digital, but the focal length is actually 7mm but is 14mm equil because it sits on the Olympus e-system. Even more precisely, it is a Zuiko 7-14 mm F4 zoom.

Lines are indeed straight when shooting buildings. If you want to see what it can do, look at

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/TGooding/

much of the first part of the front page was done using the 7mm side of that lens.

12:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

11:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

5:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home